Former presidential aide Umar Sani says ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has already purchased nomination form amid growing comeback speculation, though Jonathan is yet to confirm
A former presidential aide and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Umar Sani, has alleged that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has already purchased a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Sani, who previously served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the claim during an appearance on Trust TV on Tuesday.
His comments come amid renewed political consultations involving Jonathan, which have intensified speculation that the former president may be preparing for a return to frontline politics nearly 12 years after leaving office.
Jonathan has not publicly declared any intention to contest the 2027 presidential election, nor has he confirmed any political platform. However, Sani suggested that ongoing internal challenges within the PDP may be influencing the former president’s cautious political positioning.
According to him, Jonathan’s recent engagements already point to serious political interest, arguing that actions in politics often speak louder than formal declarations.
“The issue is not about whether we will extract commitment from him. What is most important in politics is action,” Sani said.
“If your action suggests you are interested, there are certain steps that follow. One of them is the procurement of the nomination form. He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit it publicly.”
Sani dismissed suggestions that the PDP was attempting to leverage Jonathan’s popularity for political gain, insisting instead that the former president remains widely respected.
“The fact of the matter is that we believe Jonathan is the right choice at this moment,” he added.
He also expressed confidence that any legal challenge to Jonathan’s eligibility to contest would fail, arguing that the matter had already been settled by the courts.
Sani maintained that only the Supreme Court could overturn earlier rulings and predicted that the ongoing case before Justice Peter Lifu would likely be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction when it comes up on May 26.
He further argued that Jonathan continues to enjoy public goodwill, saying many Nigerians remain nostalgic about his administration and its legacy.
Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015, when he lost his re-election bid to former President Muhammadu Buhari. Since leaving office, he has largely remained active in diplomatic and mediation roles across Africa while staying away from partisan electoral politics.
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *