Daily Observer / Trusted news from Nigeria and beyond

collapse
...
Home / News / Court Orders Investigation of Bodmas Kemepadei, NSCDC Officers, Police Inspector Over Patrick Peresuodei’s Death

Court Orders Investigation of Bodmas Kemepadei, NSCDC Officers, Police Inspector Over Patrick Peresuodei’s Death

Aug 22, 2026  Daily Observer Reporter
Court Orders Investigation of Bodmas Kemepadei, NSCDC Officers, Police Inspector Over Patrick Peresuodei’s Death

Bayelsa Coroner’s Court rejects natural-death defence, finds evidence of assaults before and during police custody and calls for prosecution review

The Coroner’s Court sitting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, has found substantial evidence linking Bodmas Kemepadei and persons acting with him to the initial assault of 24-year-old Patrick Peresuodei, whose death on January 29, 2026, triggered a high-profile demand for accountability.

Delivering its verdict on Friday, August 21, 2026, the court ruled that Peresuodei did not die from natural causes but from haemorrhagic shock caused by multiple extensive and fatal blunt-force traumatic injuries.

The court rejected the suggestion that an underlying natural disease was responsible for his death, instead finding that the young man suffered serious injuries before and during his detention.

The verdict has now opened the way for further criminal investigations into the circumstances surrounding Peresuodei’s arrest, alleged assaults before his transfer to police custody, injuries sustained while in detention and the delay in securing adequate medical treatment for him.

Evidence of initial assault

The court found that Peresuodei was taken into police custody on January 15, 2026, with injuries that predated his arrival.

It held that, on the balance of probabilities, the evidence established that he had been assaulted before or during his transfer to police custody and was already seriously injured when he arrived at the police station.

According to the court, the circumstances surrounding the injuries amounted to evidence of an initial assault and formed an important part of the chain of events that eventually led to his death.

The court also examined allegations concerning Kemepadei and associates said to have been involved in the arrest and transfer of Peresuodei.

It found substantial evidence connecting Kemepadei and persons acting with him to the initial assault and injuries sustained by the deceased.

However, the court drew a distinction between evidence linking Kemepadei to the events surrounding the arrest and proof that he personally inflicted the fatal injuries.

Video evidence not enough to establish fatal assault

The court considered an alleged video recording in which Peresuodei repeatedly mentioned Kemepadei’s name.

It ruled that the recording, standing alone, did not establish beyond reasonable doubt that Kemepadei personally inflicted the injuries that ultimately caused Peresuodei’s death.

Nevertheless, the court found that the evidence showed Kemepadei played a significant role in initiating and participating in the arrest and transfer of the deceased into police custody.

That finding, the court said, provided substantial grounds for further criminal investigation into Kemepadei’s role and the conduct of those acting under his authority.

The court therefore directed that the relevant evidence be subjected to further investigation and prosecutorial review.

NSCDC officers also under investigation

The Coroner’s Court also examined the role of personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps who were present during the arrest of Peresuodei and his brother, Destiny Peresuodei.

The court found that the NSCDC officers were present during the period leading up to Patrick’s transfer to police custody.

It said the officers failed to satisfactorily explain the circumstances in which the deceased sustained his initial injuries.

On the balance of probabilities, the court found that the circumstances established the participation of the officers in the assault before Patrick was handed over to the police, although the precise individual roles of the officers could not be conclusively established.

It consequently called for further investigation into the conduct of the NSCDC personnel involved in the arrest and transfer of the two brothers.

Police custody worsened Patrick’s condition

The court further found that Peresuodei sustained materially aggravating traumatic injuries while in police custody.

Those injuries, it held, constituted a major part of the chain of events that eventually resulted in his death.

Particular attention was drawn to the conduct of Investigating Police Officer, Inspector Barnabas Eyoroere.

The court said the evidence implicated Eyoroere in the alleged custodial assault of Peresuodei and found that his alleged actions contributed to the injuries suffered by the deceased.

It therefore held that the evidence disclosed a prima facie case warranting criminal investigation and prosecutorial consideration regarding Eyoroere’s role.

The court stressed, however, that the finding did not amount to a criminal conviction.

Delay in medical treatment criticised

The court also criticised the handling of Peresuodei’s medical needs while he was in police custody.

It found that there was an inadequate and unjustifiable delay in efforts to obtain appropriate medical treatment for him during the early period of his detention.

Given the seriousness of his injuries, the court said the delay raised concerns about existing procedures for dealing with injured detainees.

It called for a review of custodial procedures to ensure that people brought into detention with visible or reported injuries receive prompt and appropriate medical attention.

The court further recommended that injured suspects should undergo prompt and independent medical assessment, regardless of whether they are reluctant to receive treatment.

Where appropriate, it said such suspects should also be considered for bail to enable them obtain necessary medical care.

Verdict not a criminal conviction

The Coroner’s Court was careful to clarify the legal limits of its findings.

It said its verdict was not a criminal conviction of Kemepadei, the NSCDC personnel, Inspector Eyoroere or any other person.

Questions relating to criminal liability, including the specific offences that may have been committed and whether any individual is guilty, remain matters for the relevant prosecuting authorities and competent criminal courts.

The court therefore ordered a prosecutorial review of the evidence.

It directed that, after the relevant investigations are completed, the case file should be forwarded to the appropriate prosecuting authority for an independent legal assessment and a determination of whether criminal charges should be filed.

Forensic and electronic evidence to be preserved

The court also recommended further forensic investigation into the circumstances surrounding Peresuodei’s death.

It directed that electronic evidence, police custody records and relevant medical records be properly obtained and preserved for any subsequent criminal investigation or prosecution.

The complete record of the inquest, including exhibits and medical evidence, is to be transmitted to the appropriate investigative and prosecutorial authorities for further action in accordance with the law.

The court also called for an independent investigation into custodial practices in Bayelsa State.

Such an investigation, it said, should examine the conditions under which detainees are held, including the use of restraints and allegations of assault against persons in custody.

Police urged to reform treatment of injured detainees

The Nigeria Police Force was specifically urged to review its procedures for dealing with injured suspects.

Niger Delta Activist Kwalekeme Alleges Abduction, Poisoning Over Posts on Presidential Amnesty Programme Financial Misconduct

https://dailyobserver.ng/niger-delta-activist-kwalekeme-alleges-abduction-poisoning-over-posts-on-presidential-amnesty-programme-financial-misconduct

The court recommended that every injured person brought into police custody should receive timely and independent medical assessment.

It also called for appropriate administrative or disciplinary action against officers whose conduct is ultimately found to have breached established police or custodial procedures.

The recommendations are expected to place renewed attention on the treatment of detainees and the responsibilities of law enforcement agencies when suspects arrive in custody with serious injuries.

The ruling brings a significant development to the campaign for justice for Peresuodei, with the court effectively handing the matter to investigators and prosecutors to determine whether the evidence supports criminal charges.

The case has drawn attention from civil society and human rights advocates, including Amnesty International Nigeria, as well as Tarakiri Voice Newspaper and individuals such as Perela Ezekiel and Osia Jude Gbaboyor, who have followed and raised concerns about the circumstances surrounding the young man’s death.

For now, the Coroner’s Court has established that Peresuodei’s death was violent and unnatural, identified evidence pointing to assaults before and during his detention, and directed the relevant authorities to determine whether those implicated should face criminal prosecution.


Share:

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your experience on this site will be improved by allowing cookies Cookie Policy