Daily Observer / Trusted news from Nigeria and beyond

collapse
...
Home / Politics / Gunfire Erupts in Osogbo as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy

Gunfire Erupts in Osogbo as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy

Aug 19, 2026  Bukola Kuteyi
Gunfire Erupts in Osogbo as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy

Osun Governor’s security team reportedly exchanged gunfire with suspected attackers after Adeleke visited the Ataoja of Osogbo’s palace; no casualty was recorded.

Gunfire erupted in Osogbo, Osun State, on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The incident occurred around 3:30 pm, shortly after Adeleke left the palace following a meeting with the monarch. The attack reportedly triggered an exchange of gunfire between the suspected assailants and members of the governor’s security team.

Adeleke had earlier visited the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

He later proceeded to the Ataoja’s palace in a convoy of about 20 vehicles.

According to eyewitness accounts, the governor and members of his entourage were received by Oba Oyetunji, during which Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler.

Adeleke Wins Osun Governorship Election, Defeats Tinubu and APC, Not Oyebamiji – Osun Indigenes 

https://dailyobserver.ng/adeleke-wins-osun-governorship-election-defeats-tinubu-and-apc-not-oyebamiji-osun-indigenes

Trouble reportedly started as the meeting was ending and the monarch had offered prayers.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit traditionally used by the monarch and his wives and had entered a vehicle with some of his aides when gunshots suddenly rang out.

The witness said the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna vehicle through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots,” the eyewitness said.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. The hoodlums later fled the scene.”

Another witness, a trader identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers appeared to have known about the governor’s visit and may have positioned themselves in the area before his arrival.

Osun 2026: ‘Kill Accord Members on Sight’ — APC Senator Fadahunsi Sparks Outrage 

https://dailyobserver.ng/osun-2026-kill-accord-members-on-sight-apc-senator-fadahunsi-sparks-outrage

She said the attackers allegedly fired at the palace’s main gate, causing panic among traders, residents and other people in the area.

“They also damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back,” she said.

Munirat added that the confrontation later moved towards the area around the Osogbo Central Mosque before the suspected attackers fled in the direction of Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The shooting sent residents and traders scrambling for safety, with several businesses reportedly shut as people fled the area during the incident.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that the governor’s convoy was attacked.

Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers and that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of about 4:45 pm, sporadic gunshots were reportedly still being heard around parts of the area, while some business owners had closed their shops amid fears of renewed violence.

The identities and motives of the suspected attackers were not immediately known, and there was no immediate official statement on whether any arrests had been made.

Security agencies are expected to investigate the incident and determine how the attackers gained access to the area around the traditional ruler’s palace during the governor’s visit.


Share:

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your experience on this site will be improved by allowing cookies Cookie Policy