Daily Observer / Trusted news from Nigeria and beyond

collapse
...
Home / Crime / UK Court Jails Fake Passport Gang After £1m Immigration Scam

UK Court Jails Fake Passport Gang After £1m Immigration Scam

Aug 23, 2026  Daily Observer Reporter
UK Court Jails Fake Passport Gang After £1m Immigration Scam

Gang leader Lamin Manneh and seven associates helped hundreds of people enter Britain illegally using altered genuine passports, while investigators found evidence of 559 different passports on Manneh’s phone.

A sophisticated organised crime network that allegedly helped hundreds of people enter the United Kingdom illegally using altered genuine passports has been dismantled, with its leader receiving an additional six years and eight months in prison.

Lamin Manneh, 51, was described as the leader of the UK-based gang, which prosecutors said operated a “one-stop shop” for people seeking to enter Britain unlawfully.

The network allegedly operated between January 2022 and July 2025 and was responsible for arranging not only fraudulent travel documents but also flights, airport pickups, accommodation and employment for customers after their arrival.

Investigators discovered images relating to 559 different passports on Manneh’s mobile phone, providing a glimpse into the scale of the operation.

Gang Made More Than £1 Million

According to prosecutors, customers paid thousands of pounds for the gang’s services, generating more than £1 million for the criminal network.

The gang typically obtained genuine Gambian passports that already contained valid UK visas. Members then replaced the photograph on the biometric page and visa with that of another person, allowing the customer to travel using the genuine document.

In one particularly striking case, a passport belonging to a deceased Gambian man was allegedly used to bring three different people into the UK, with the photograph changed each time.

Prosecutors said the operation went well beyond the production or supply of fraudulent documents.

Customers could reportedly obtain a complete package covering the journey from their home country to life in Britain, including travel arrangements, airport collection, accommodation and assistance in finding work.

Manchester Airport Discovery Exposed Wider Network

The wider investigation began to unravel in early 2024 after a traveller arriving at Manchester Airport was stopped by officials.

The man was found to be travelling on a passport belonging to another person. Investigators established that the genuine passport holder had been burgled in Gambia two years earlier, during which his passports were stolen.

The traveller eventually admitted paying the equivalent of about £5,200 for the fraudulent documentation and arrangements that enabled him to travel to Britain.

That discovery ultimately led investigators towards a much larger organised operation.

559 Passports Found on Manneh’s Phone

As investigators examined the evidence, the scale of the alleged conspiracy became clearer.

The Crown Prosecution Service said the gang had assisted several hundred people in entering the UK unlawfully between January 2022 and July 2025, although prosecutors acknowledged that the exact number may never be established.

However, investigators found images relating to 559 unique passports on Manneh’s mobile phone.

The evidence indicated that the gang had developed an organised system capable of facilitating almost every stage of an unlawful migration journey.

Rather than simply providing altered passports, the network allegedly arranged flights, collected customers from airports and helped them secure places to live and work once they arrived in the UK.

Manneh Receives Additional Prison Sentence

Manneh, of Stubley Road, Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, was already serving a prison sentence after being convicted in 2024 of facilitating the unlawful entry of two migrants.

The subsequent investigation revealed evidence of a much broader role in the organised operation.

On June 26, 2026, Manneh was sentenced to an additional six years and eight months for conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration.

The sentence was ordered to run consecutively to his existing prison term, meaning the additional sentence will be served on top of the time he was already serving.

He was also sentenced to five years and four months for money laundering. That sentence will run concurrently with the immigration offence sentence.

Seven Associates Also Sentenced

Seven other members of the network were sentenced at Leeds Crown Court.

They are:

Alieu Barry, 31, of Dark Lane, Batley — six years in prison.

Mariama Jallow, 46, of Stubley Road, Heckmondwike — four years and 11 months.

Ida Chow, 40, of Honour Lea Avenue, Stratford, London — three years and eight months.

Sulayman Samateh, 46, of Sissons Green, Middleton, Leeds — three years.

Musu Sanyang, 49, of Whiting Avenue, Barking, Essex — two years and seven months.

Pa Sanneh, 44, of Cemetery Road, Heckmondwike — two years and one month.

Dodou Cham, 41, also of Cemetery Road, Heckmondwike — a 12-month community order and 60 hours of unpaid work.

All eight defendants admitted offences relating to facilitating unlawful immigration.

Manneh, Barry, Jallow and Chow also admitted money-laundering offences connected with proceeds generated by the operation.

Authorities Move to Recover Criminal Profits

Specialist prosecutor Robert Warner described the case as a sophisticated conspiracy that enabled hundreds of people to enter the UK without legal permission.

According to Warner, the gang charged customers thousands of pounds for a comprehensive service involving altered travel documents, flights, airport transportation, accommodation and assistance with employment.

Authorities are now seeking to prevent members of the gang from retaining the proceeds of their criminal activities.

The Crown Prosecution Service is expected to bring Manneh, Barry, Jallow and Chow back before the courts for confiscation proceedings aimed at recovering assets linked to the criminal enterprise.

What began with the discovery of a suspicious passport at Manchester Airport ultimately uncovered a far-reaching operation allegedly involving hundreds of unlawful journeys, 559 passport images and more than £1 million in criminal proceeds.


Share:

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your experience on this site will be improved by allowing cookies Cookie Policy